Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day 15- Nuts about nuts.

Today I had alot of questions. I've realized that I've been eating quite a few nuts. Back in the day I was afraid to eat too many nuts because it's a high calorie food. But I'm finding different nuts to be more of a comfort food for me in the past 2 weeks. Without my normal daily Kit-Kat, I have found I missed that 'crunch' feeling and that 'fatty taste'. Nuts have been a good compromise. It consist of healthy fats... nuts are from the earth... So is it possible to eat too much of them?

My mission is to lose some weight. Already in the first two weeks I have noticed big changes. I havn't weighed or measured myself yet, but I can feel it in the way my clothes fit. In fact, I even brought a T-shirt yesterday that was a size XS ! A year ago I was a size M.

So if I need to lose weight, should I be watching what I eat... even if it's healthy? Is eating too many nuts unhealthy? Should I still be counting my calories? Or will my body just naturally sort itself out on it's own if I'm only consuming earth food?

The thing that I love about the Earth Diet is I havn't had to stress about if I'm eating too much. I can eat as much as I want. But has my perspective been wrong? I know when it comes to veggies I can eat as much as I want because it's a low calorie food. But what about the earth foods that do have the healthy fats and are higher in calorie?

I really don't want to have to stress about overeating. I love eating. And I'm enjoying eating Earth Foods.

Perhaps I should just keep doing what I'm doing, and see what happens.

I read an article by Zen To Fitness about nuts. Feel free to read it here. The basic summary of it is that...

  • The are a source of Calcium, magnesium and zinc.
  • Nuts are a power punch of nutrients, good fats and antioxidants
  • Some nuts are better than others.. ie. Almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts are the best!
  • Cashews and peanuts are actually legumes
  • Nuts are the best source for monounsaturated fat, it makes your skin supple and provides great nourishment for your glandular system!
  • Eating 40-60 grams of nuts per day is optimal (2 handfuls). If you go higher than this, it isn't too harmful, as long as you have a healthy diet (which you would on The Earth Diet)
  • Over 100 grams is probably too much (oops)
I would love people to let me know your thoughts. Do you think you can eat too many nuts? Those who are on the Earth Diet, how many nuts do you think you're eating in a day? And are you trying to lose weight?



My day:

Breakfast: Celery/Carrot/Apple juice

Lunch: Blueberry/Blackberry/Rasberry/ Kale juice. Chocolate hempseed pie.

Dinner: For tonight's dinner we tried something different. We made Tacos!!! But instead of using taco shells, we used Lettuce leaves! And I also experimented and managed to make my own Salsa. I was so proud of myself! I made the salsa by grilling for 5-10 minutes... Red Peppers, Green peppers, tomotos, chilli and onion. And then I put all of that into the blender and "pulsed" it. What resulted was a chunky salsa sauce! It was delicious! I can't believe I actually managed to make that myself. So we put in the lettuce leaves a bit of beef, mashed avocado, salsa, chopped red/green pepper. Wrap the lettuce around it.. and voila, a delicious easy meal!!!

Snacks: Pistachios, cashews, bananas

Exercise: Walking, stretching

No comments: