Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 14- Menstrual cramps

"Period pains- THIS IS BULLSHIT"
- Sam - 


I thought I would quote myself on that one. Couldn't think of any better words than my own. 

Dustin, I dedicate this blog post to you. 

Over dinner he commented that lately on my blog I've only been writing factual things and no longer about my feelings and what I'm thinking. Okay, well, here it is then... Maybe all the men want to stop reading from this point on.

For the past few days I have had the worst menstrual cramps. I haven't felt this bad in a very long time. I feel nauseous , I've been having hot flushes, my stomach hurts like a mo-fo and all I have wanted to do is curl into a ball and die. I used to get severe period pain years ago, to the point where I'd vomit and once had to visit the hospital. I've been on the pill since which has helped tremendously. But for some reason, this cycle I feel like absolute shit. And I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Earth Diet? Maybe my body is freaking out because my normal coping mechanisms are not at my disposal (lots and lots of Diet Coke, chocolate and salt 'n vinegar chips.)

Actually, tonight, Dustin pointed out that normally I hide behind all of this with a few big blocks of chocolate and I would eat myself silly. 


This time I am eating... fruit? And vegetables? And..... water.

Today I really really really wanted to overindulge in some creamy Cadbury chocolate. But I didn't!

After the realisation that I did not have any crutch that I can lean on, I decided to look on the internet to see what real food can help alleviate period pain. 

Some of the things I read that can help are ginger, peppermint, kava kava (no idea what that is! Apparently it's grown on islands in the south pacific?), flaxseed, veggies and fruit.

Looks like I'm going to have to try incorporating these into my diet, specifically for that time of month. I already have ginger in my juices.. but maybe I need to try some peppermint or flaxseed. And perhaps I'll try to discover Kava kava???

If anyone has any ideas, please leave me a comment! 



My day:

Breakfast- Celery, carrot and apple juice

Lunch- Apple pie the Earth Diet way

Dinner- Quinoa, cauliflower, beans, broccoli, red pepper, orange juice, ginger, garlic, onion, potato...

Snacks- Bananas

Exercise- Boxing training, but didn't stay too long cos I was hurting

No comments: