Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 18- Pain fighting food

I've had chronic back and neck pain for 14 years of my life. I have been to doctors, chiropractors, physiotherapists, myotherapists, masseuses; to name a few. Most of the time it is to just relieve me of the symptoms. I get treatment about once a week. I have scoliosis and scheurmann's disease, as well as spurs and wear and tear from whiplash. Lots of fun! I often wake up with headaches, and generally towards the end of the day I struggle to breathe because the pain is so bad. But I have learnt to live with it and generally try to ignore it.

Leading up to doing The Earth Diet I decided I want to take control of my pain. I understand that alot of it is due to structural problems in my spine, and as a result it effects my muscles. But I had began to wonder if food would be able to help relieve pain and have an anti-inflammatory effect. So I did research, I wrote down all the foods to avoid and all the foods that help with pain and pinned it on my kitchen cupboards. I then pretty much ignored it (as all the foods to avoid were my favourite foods). Now that I'm doing the Earth Diet I want to take this more seriously. And maybe someone out there has chronic pain, and that could be beneficial for you. I will try to focus on these different foods and report to you all on how I feel. I also plan to buy Betonite Clay (you can buy it on The Earth Diet website).. I read reports on the internet that it helps with problems such as pain (the doctor tells me I have scar tissue along my spine so I wonder if it will help rid the scar tissue?). Anyways, no point ordering that until I get back to Australia!

Foods to AVOID!!!! (pretty much everything you can't have on The Earth Diet)

  • Sugar
  • Cooking oils (except for virgin olive oil, coconut oil etc)
  • Trans Fats... fried food, fast food, baked good, margarine etc
  • Milk
  • Non-organic meat
  • Not to have red meat daily
  • Alcohol
  • White bread, white flour... 
  • Aspartame (Diet Coke!!)
  • MSG
Pain- fighting food Excuse me if I repeat myself, I have two pages worth of lists here...
  • Peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Cauliflower
  • Garlic
  • Green beans
  • Green onions/ Spring onions
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Turnip greens
  • Apples
  • Avocados
  • Blueberries
  • Pineapple
  • Guava
  • Kiwifruit
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Mulberries
  • Oranges
  • Papaya
  • Rasberries
  • Strawberries
  • Basil
  • Chilli Peppers
  • cinnamon
  • Cloves
  • Cacao
  • Mint
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Tumeric
  • Almonds
  • Linseed
  • Hazelnuts
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Walnuts
  • Fish- all different kinds
  • Green tea
  • Water
  • Avocado Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Asparagus
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Grapefruit
  • Oranges
  • Peaches
  • Brazil nuts
  • Eggs
  • Flaxseed
  • Hemp seeds
  • Pecans
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Sesame seeds
  • Spinach
  • Grapes
  • Apricots
  • Nectarines
  • Papaya
  • Plums
  • Tangerines
  • Watermelon

Woah. That's a lot of different foods I can have. I have already incorporated a lot of these into my diet, but I think I need to begin to be more specific about what I'm eating if I want to see my pain decrease. 





My Day:


Breakfast: Poached eggs, tomatoes

Lunch: Potato chips (made them myself), Banana/mango/pineapple/apple smoothy

Dinner: Smoothy

Snacks: none



2 comments:

Peter R Power Celebrant said...

Now you need to add meditation and Tai Chi Sam. Both of these will help with the pain. xx

Samantha Louise said...

Hey thanks Uncle Peter! I'll have to look into that. Although I donno if I'd find time for Tai Chi... I think I'd prefer boxing!!! :)