Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 13- Baby Mandarins


When I started The Earth Diet I made a decision that I will follow my cravings. That whatever my heart desired I would give it. That I would not be paranoid about whether eating too much fruit in a day is good or bad? Or how many calories am I consuming? Or even let myself feel guilty if I over indulged in any particular food. Earth foods that is. 

After the first initial days of being on the Earth Diet and denying my body of it's usual sugars and processed foods... oh, and who can forget the dreaded aspartame... I found my body begin to shift and change and begin to have a voice. 

When I fill my body with processed foods I am unable to gauge what my body is trying to tell me. Whether it is telling me to eat more greens, or eat this particular food, or "Here! have more nuts!" 

But now it has found its voice, and what it had been telling me for quite a few days now is... "Look!!! Taste these baby mandarins!!! I want more!!!" I literally feel my taste buds have a party as I bite into it's juicy goodness. It is so sweet, so juicy, and also a hint of sour. I feel like I am eating sour lollies from the local 7-eleven! But instead, it is good for me and it nourishes me and gives me vitamins and minerals and nutrients that my body desires... and needs! 

If you do your research on the internet about mandarins... you will find that the number one health benefit is that it reduces your risk of developing liver cancer. It is also a strong source of Vitamin C, improves your cholesterol levels, and help you lose weight. 

Even if mandarins didn't have disease fighting capabilities.. I'd still eat them because they taste so bloody good. 

All you Australians out there... You know what I learnt the other day? In Canada (or North America I guess), they are known as Christmas Oranges. Because fall/winter is their season, and that's when Christmas is! Ho ho ho! 


My day:

Breakfast- Sauteed red pepper, onion, mushroom in coconut oil. Two poached eggs.

Lunch- Banana smoothy filled with all these other fruits that I have no idea about because Dustin made it for me! :) 

Dinner- Chicken, beans, potatoes

Snacks- Cashews, mandarins, apples

No comments: