Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 1- Diet Coke withdrawals

So, yesterday... what a day!

By lunch time I had gone 24 hours without any Diet Coke. And my goodness! I was headachey, bitchy, tired and I felt so negative. I had so many emotions going through me! As a result, I think I overcompensated by eating alot of (earth) food.

By the afternoon I felt so negative about everything. I was pissed off to all the naturally skinny people out there and I was pissed off that I decided to challenge myself like this. I was thinking thoughts like "What is the bloody point in all of this?" I had to remind myself that I wasn't just doing this for weight loss... but I was doing this for health. For ME.

I'm a professional youth/social worker, and I had to keep telling myself that how can I set a good example for these young people and to care for them if I cannot even care for myself. You cannot love someone else fully, until you can learn to love who you are. By eating garbage food and drinking poisonious drinks (yes, Diet Coke is pure poison!), that is not demonstrating love to yourself.

I realized that for years I have put others before myself in a negative way. I would go to a party... and I would feel obliged to eat all the finger food, "because they paid for it". Or, a friend will want to catch up for lunch, and they feel like McDonalds so I will do that "because they want to eat that". Or even as a Youth Worker, where do most Youth Workers take their kids? To Mc Donald's or other garbage places like that. (oh my gosh I was craving a cheeseburger so bad yesterday)

When I got home last night I found a can of Diet Coke in the fridge. I was freaking out. I desperately wanted it. But I fought urges all day!!! Unfortunately, I caved in... cracked open the can... had a sip... My fiance, Dustin, caught me. He ran over to me, grabbed it off me and proceeded to pour the drink down the sink. You'll never believe my reaction! I started wrestling with him, I was crying, and I was banging my fists on the bench! After he emptied the drink, he turned to me and said "Take a look at yourself Sam. You're a drug addict. You may not be addicted to illegal drugs, but you're addicted to this shit!" I then, with tears in my eyes, put myself to bed (at 9.30pm. I was exhausted) and had a little cry (haha!).

I'm so grateful to Dustin! He is my inspiration for this journey! Thanks honey.

My day:

Breakfast - protein shake, bananas

Lunch - Brocoli, cucumber, carrots, avocado

Dinner - Home made fries (felt desperate for carbs! But it's okay, potatoes are from the Earth and I cooked them Earth friendly!), chicken

Snacks - Strawberry Zing juice (from my favourite Raw,Vegan, Organic Cafe... check out Gorilla Food for their menu!), Chocolate ball and biscuit (Gorilla Food), Mandarin, carrots...

Exercise - Went to my boxing gym and vented my frustrations out on the heavy bag! I then sat in the sauna for about 20 mins, just letting myself sweat out toxins.

No comments: